10.31.2008

frankenstein



I was asked to read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein: the modern prometheus for an Enlightenment and Romanticism Literature class in Fall '07. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised to have all of my expectations of the novel shattered by such a wonderfully written work of fiction. The Boris Karloff "IT'S ALIVE!" imagery we are all so familiar with (however awesomely classic it is) is not exacly present in the novel and the elevated language of lyrical passages describing Geneva, the complexity of language and the linguistic system, the beauty and progress of a godless science, and the eloquence and intelligence of Frankenstein's Monster is surprisingly brilliant--at least it was to me, as I was expecting "IT'S ALIVE!" Salt Lake City's very own RadioWest on KUER 90.1 is doing a live 1940s style radio adaptation of the story tonight at 11PM, and up through Sunday Nov.2 you can see it live (sponsored by Plan B Theater) at the Rose Wagner Theater in Salt Lake City. Unfortunately they are not streaming the performance online as they do the rest of the programs but there was a nice broadcast on the history of Frankenstein on 10/29 you can go here to have a listen.

ps. i'm excited about my Vaudeville tightrope walker costume--i'm almost certain i spent damn near $35 on feathers.
pps. happy hallows eve!

No comments: