3.26.2010

Everything is Amazing

I am constantly finding myself coming back to this (sorry, the "embedding" for this has been disabled so you have to click over to youtube to listen to it). Personally, I think it has been a looong time since truer words than these have been spoken, or, at least, since I've heard something I couldn't completely agree more with ...

The text above is the new sign I made to replace the former (and still great):


It's my new "Be Thankful" reminder. "The Secret to Happiness is to Be Thankful." 

Touche.

In similar news:

 

The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don't Trust Anyone Under 30) has made its way onto my "to-read" list ("you non-contributing zero") along with

 

Generation Me: Why Today's Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled--and More Miserable Than Ever Before

 I don't mean to be a "Debbie Downer," really, it's not that at all.. it's that I'm onto something... been coming onto it for a little while...and somehow it all loosely relates. Searching for simplicity, fulfillment, stimulation--I'm trying to figure some things out (which, I believe is very normal for a "twenty somethings," right? That's healthy young-adult development?). Time for reflection, for research, for reevaluation...


I think it's perfect timing that we're leaving town today. To remove ourselves from our own daily bustle and give ourselves some space to breathe and to enjoy, giving ourselves some distance from the routines we've created, have been forced or have fallen into. 


3 comments:

Ann-Michelle said...

I've been thinking of taking up transcendentalism myself... I had a brief stint with it in high school. Civil Disobedience and Walden this summer.

On another somewhat unrelated note, I'm thinking of reading Ayn Rand. What do you think?

Joseph & Julianna said...

I'm sure you are more ahead of the game than I am but do you have a good reads account?
p.s. Kate Spade's striped purses make me giddy too

Emily said...

Shell - I think if you were seventeen and a senior in high school Ayn Rand would change your life (!!) I think in your late twenties it will be a good read but maybe not as profound as it may be if you were younger. Personally I'd start with The Fountainhead. I've never really gotten into atlas shrugged more than a quick glance.

Julianna - I am on goodreads!: emily(dot)argyle@gmail(dot)com. I went to the Kate Spade store in Atlanta this past weekend.. ughh so fancy.