4.28.2010

List: 4/28/2010

1. Is patent leather "out"? I'm mostly referring to this pair of red patent leather Franco Sarto strappy wedges that I like but haven't really worn as much as I thought I would when I bought them a few years ago.

2. My niece Hannah turned TEN on Monday. Does that make anyone else feel old?

3. Simplify: There's no better way to "downsize" your stuff than moving right? I think we've done (and will continue) to do a good job assessing our stuff and shedding what we don't need. It's also been a good time to decide what we do need and/or want.

4. I need to be better about saving. I'm not in trouble, but, I could definitely be smarter about spending.

5. A comprehensive survey (meaning including H.P.) of my reading says I'm currently in book 16 for 2010. It's still April, that's damn near a book a week. I haven't been consistently Monday book posting, but it's still pretty good all things considered.

6. I just can't wait to be done with moving. I can't wait to start cooking regularly again. Cold cereal and eating out get old so quickly.

7. Around New Year I said I'd like to take a dance/yoga class once a week. I'm currently at dance rehearsal/class 4-5 days/week and until just recently have been in yoga about one day/week as well!

8. I've started a small potted garden. My arugula has really taken off! I have a giant bowl of zingy peppery salad growing outside! My cherry tomato plants are already starting to flower, basil and cilantro are growing like weeds, we'll see how the pepper plants and heirloom tomatoes do. I've also got some mint and lavender started. Lucky enough, the South has 2 growing seasons so I can continue to add plants/seeds to my little pots and grow through September!

9.Having a fenced in yard has changed my relationship with my dog. Cash is so much more calm and loving. He wants to love on us all. day. long! He is seeking a lot more eye-contact instead of being so indifferent. It's yet another thing that makes our new home feel so nice. (Now, if only we can finish unpacking/organizing!) 

10. Some bookish quotes I enjoyed from someone who knows a lot about books and purports to know why we should read them (Mr. Harold Bloom):

"Reading well is one of the great pleasures that solitude can afford you, because it is, at least in my experience, the most healing of pleasures. It returns you to otherness, whether in yourself or in friends, or in those who may become friends. Imaginative literature is otherness, and as such alleviates loneliness. We read not only because we cannot know enough people, but because friendship is so vulnerable, so likely to diminish or disappear, overcome by space, time, imperfect sympathies, and all the sorrows of familial and passional life."

"A childhood largely spent watching television yields to an adolescence with a computer, and the university receives a student unlikely to welcome the suggestion that we must endure our gong hence even as our going hither: ripeness is all. Reading falls apart, and much of the self scatters with it. All this is past lamenting, and will not be remedied by any vows or programs. What is to be done can only be performed by some version of elitism, and that is now unacceptable, for reasons both good and bad. There are still solitary readers, young and old, everywhere, even in the universities. If there is a function of criticism at the present time, it must be to address itself to the solitary reader, who reads for herself, and not for the interests that supposedly transcend the self."

"We read deeply for varied reasons, most of them familiar: that we cannot know enough people profoundly enough; that we need to know ourselves better; that we require knowledge, not just of self and others, but of the way things are. Yet the strongest, most authentic motive for deep reading of the now much-abused traditional canon is the search for a difficult pleasure. I am not exactly an erotics-of-reading purveyor, and pleasurable difficulty seems to me a plausible definition of the Sublime, but a higher pleasure remains the reader's quest. There is a reader's Sublime, and it seems the only secular transcendence we can ever attain, except for the even more precarious transcendence we call "falling in love." I urge you to find what truly comes near you, that can be used for weighing and for considering. Read deeply, not to believe, not to accept, not to contradict, but to learn to share in that one nature that writes and reads."

1 comment:

Logan said...

I like this update. :) I'm jealous of all the stuff you have growing. I am determined to start a garden next year (this year's focus is on getting the inside of our house renovated!)

p.s. I've got you beat. My niece Chayla will be 14 this year. And yes, it makes me feel very old!