5.04.2010

America The Beautiful

One of the most perceptive observations I've heard in a very long time comes near the end of Bloom's explication of Nathanael West's Miss Lonelyhearts in How to Read and Why. He states, "We will have no more Nathanael Wests; literary parody expired with him..." And proceeds to claim that parody is, in fact, no longer possible:


Reality in America is more grotesque and hilarious than any parodist could hope to trump. 


Reading that sentence made me flinch. It was one of those horrifying, unbelievably embarrassing moments of truth. Reality in America is more grotesque and hilarious than any parodist could hope to trump. 


My friend Miss J emailed me in regard to this post recommending the documentary America the Beautiful. It's available for instant view on netflix.  Obsession with beauty in America is, I would say, a huge contributer to the hilarious grotesqueries in our culture. It's interesting and outrageous. No matter how many times I hear different statistics of plastic surgery and eating disorders it never fails to outrage me...

Is this the place where I begin to rant again? I'll save it today. TBD (deal?) Just wanted to put a few thoughts out for now.  

No comments: