6.10.2010

Home Sweet Home

Darling recently accused me of an abstract concept...

We were talking about our apartment: getting it together, rooms painted, things hung on the wall, etc. After some back and forth banter, it eventually came out that I never get much done because I wait for it to be "too perfect" that, if it's not exactly right I'll just wait, and, inevitably it's always a waiting period...

I don't entirely agree or disagree. He's not coming from nowhere, but I don't think it's so terrible or intense...

So I'm trying to make some decisions (from here on out this writing is probably as metaphorical as it sounds but I'm not really looking to go there today). Compiling link lists for Darling to glimpse at so I can get a feel of what he might be into right now (I don't want my house to only reflect my current style tastes). I'm trying to get a few ideas set so that I can start doing instead of perpetually window shopping... (I'm really not trying to get all 6 Feet Under on you--when Ruth joins "The Plan" and "fixes the blueprints" for her "house") Colors! Let's pick out a few colors, make a pallete to work with and help narrow down some things! Prints! Lets get a few to put on the walls. Lets frame the ones that are leaning against the wall! Right?

Darling even painted the hallway and bathroom yesterday (thank you dear!), which means he's really itching for change and I don't blame him. It'd be nice to feel like we're settled somewhere, like all the boxes are unpacked, like everything's arranged, like we live fully and happily in our home. It's amazing the way our physical surroundings enhance and influence our mood--I get that. I get that Darling wants/needs that positive environmental influence, his life is so crazy while working, and, I want it too, I just need to trust my own decisions and start working toward it. (Okay. Fine. The truth of the matter is that this, along with everything else in my life, comes down to my inability to make confident decisions which is something I've struggled with since childhood...for another time, another place.)

To commence this new long-term-project/goal (doing not just envisioning) I was looking at buying a print, to hang on the wall (now here I'm definitely talking about an actual picture to physically hang on the wall, which, is not as obvious or easy as it sounds). I ended yesterday's workday by drooling over some incredible vintage posters, my favorites costing around $2,000. Unfortunately that's not really an option for me right now; however, I found some great vintage repro prints at Wall Blank that would be a much more cost efficient solution.  I think the "See America" is the one. I might still buy the "Be Kind to Books" as it's pretty small. ... I think. Maybe. What do you think?





4 comments:

Ann-Michelle said...

boo ya. I just bought the fruit one, the market one, and the dressing extravagantly one.

I love paypal. Its like monopoly money.

E said...

those are all good choices. After I saw what you bought I looked at them again and I'm sad I overlooked the dressing extravagantly one. The be nice to books is "unavailable" but I did buy See America.

Samuel said...

Dearest Ee mee lee,

Don't stress out because you can't find or don't have the perfect object that would tie the room together (I'm thinking here about the dude's rug). Instead, allow yourself the option of having your style be a constant progression, rather than an enumeration of who you think you are. Don't get sucked into the idea of putting check marks on your life list ("You tell yourself, that's it. That's the last sofa I'll need. Whatever else happens, that sofa problem is handled."). Check marks, in the end, should only be made in fast-fading ink.

Don't also fall into the trap of planning out what comes next. You end up investing too much energy (and hope) into it and it rarely lives up to the hype. Celebrate and luxuriate in the "found solution." Just like the best food you ever had has always come from some hole in the wall you stumbled into. Life gives us so many options at once, so many glowing conduits to futures in which we barely resemble our present selves, yet we expend so much energy trying to seek out our "path." Our paths are always right here in front of us! The inevitable progression of time takes care of everything; all life demands of us is focus and participation.

You have great design instincts. So much so that you don't need to depend upon the coveting of strangers. Memphis is a trove of inspiration, that is really as far as you need to go.

Am I a hypocrite, as my gf takes years to purchase furniture and we rarely use our immediate surroundings to enliven our domain? Not at all. I am just contradictory. I refer you to my favorite quote that has always made short work of my glaring paradoxes. "Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes."

:)

E said...

Samuel, don't feel surprised if at some completely arbitrary future date I send you an email in crisis looking for some wise words, a little Whitman, and probably some dry error-free wit...