7.14.2010

Rock N Roll


(Darling wants to be that old man in the red coat when he grows up.)

I would absolutely be misleading you if I told you I was a legit Led Zeppelin fan. This in no way deters me from stating that last night's Robert Plant concert was one of the best shows I've ever been to (even if that makes me a poser) (do people still use the word poser?). In Memphis' legendary (and beautiful) Orpheum Theater the sound was pristine, the energy amazing, the chemistry of the musicians undeniable. I did my share of head slash knee bobbing but I found myself in a trance for nearly two hours, which seemed a lot more like 45 minutes. Lots of new material that was moody, creepy, and carnivalesque, a handful of rearranged Zeppelin songs (Misty Mountain Hop, Nobody’s Fault but Mine, Thank You, Rock and Roll, and a few others that I can't name),  all of it quite stripped down, expressive and ultra-blusey--Memphis style. (There's something inexplicably satisfying about hearing deep-blues or rockabilly in Memphis...) The only girl, Patty Griffin, blew me away and has some serious pipes. All of their voices, in fact, were rich and soulful, giving way to full, swelling, room-filling harmonies. 

Fantastic. Fantastic. Fantastic. 

In general, the music scene in Tennessee flocks to Nashville. Nashville seems to have the demographic and the money for concert culture to really thrive. But we have really lucked out with opportunities to see music legends (and legendary musicians + Memphis/MS Delta is exactly what I feel like music should be here, don't you think?) Betty Lavette, Willie Nelson, Robert Plant... impressive, especially considering we've only been less than one year (but only by a few days, how crazy is that?) B.B. King ticket sales opened yesterday, and we definitely want to make it to Clarksdale for the Sunflower River Blues and Gospel Festival again--I'll keep you posted. 

1 comment:

dlightbyrachelmarie said...

Hi there!

First of all, I have this strange obsession with grays paired with green. That being said, I LOVE Your Header! :) Actually, it is because of that header that I forced myself to stock you. (Wow that sounded totally creepy) Haha I'm not! I promise! Anyways, I found you on the buyhandmade.org site. I have been searching out blogs that blog about all things art and design. I have a line of clothing called D.Light that features a collection of handmade tops for women, and I was wondering if you would be interested in putting a post up about it? I figured I could send traffic your way through my social networks, and, by posting about D.Light, you could help spread the word. :) I was looking for a contact email on here, but I couldn't find one. So I decided to leave a comment with my contact info. You can view the store at www.dlightapparel.com and/or email me at d.lightapparel@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you and see if we could work something out! Hopefully I will talk to you soon! Take care!

My best,

Rachel Marie