9.21.2010

Music Love

This past weekend was an intense flurry of music and dancing.



I don't know if you have been sticking around this blog this long, but some of you may recall last October Darling and I saw the Drive-By Truckers in Oxford, MS.  Well, Friday the Truckers made their way to Minglewood Hall in Memphis to shake things up, to tell us what's what. The Truckers, for me, are the perfect mix of country and rock. A little bit down-home, a little bit rockabilly, the size of the group and the intensity with which they play truly makes for an exciting and energizing performance. The love of what they're doing reads so clearly and, as a listener, you get a great sense of the camaraderie and collaboration of the group. (Mrs. Smith, to answer your comment from last time, they did play My Sweet Annette in Oxford, also one of my very favorites, but not this time... However, the songs from the latest album have definitely piqued my interest. I'm going to check if Darling has purchased the album yet!)







Saturday, I found myself at Minglewood once again, (you'd think I couldn't get enough of the place or something) this time Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings on the menu. First and foremost, I love her. She's so spunky and firey and has this loud, infectious energy that not only fills up the room, but knocks your socks off. In Tina Turner worthy fringe, Ms. Jones had those boys (the Dap Kings) connected to her body with James Brown precision ("hit me!" -- BAM! "hit me!" -- BAM! BAM! "one more time" - BAM!). The simple aesthetics, the erect postures of the musicians, the skinny suits - pastel shirts - manicured moustaches, and dancey vibe has me convinced that Saturday night is the closest I'll ever get to experiencing the old-school American Bandstand. Her vocals were truly astounding, and girl knows how to break. it. doooowwwn. She's so great, in fact, that Ms. Lootie, who was celebrating her 99th birthday came out for a good time (trippy, no? Can you imagine? I  mean, she left the house...99 years old). Break it down. 
 

On the agenda for next weekend, music... 
the next, you guessed it...

Welcome Fall

No comments: